Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Doll-A_Day 2017 #220:Doug

  The doll today is one I got on that really good day of yard sales I showed you last time. He's Doug.


Doug was originally a Nickelodeon show that ran from 1991 to 1994,although my kids watched it much longer than that. Emma wasn't even born until 1991,so I know we didn't start watching it then.


"Doug" was one of Nickelodeon's first original animated series,along with "Rugrats" and "Ren and Stimpy".

Creator Jim Jinkins based Doug and his adventures on his own Virginia childhood.
 "Doug" was later acquired  by Disney. (There they go again, buying other people's creations and claiming them as their own. Sorry,but this is a pet peeve of mine!) Disney revamped and retitled the show,(Originally "Brand Spanking New! Doug",and later, "Disney's Doug",(Arg!),and it ran for three years,with an additional 65 episodes, on ABC on Saturday mornings. Personally,I prefer the Nickelodeon episodes. 
 As I've said before, I love having toys of characters from the shows my kids loved when they were still kids. It brings back happy memories of watching the shows with them way back when they were little. 


 There were 52 original Nickelodeon episodes of "Doug" in all, following Doug Funnie's adventures in 6th grade,with his friend Skeeter,his true love, Patti Mayonnaise,his dog Porkchop,and his favourite band, The Beets. (Their big song was "Killer Tofu".)

Patti,Doug,and Skeeter...uh,and Porkchop's nose.
Funnily enough, the lady who did Patti Mayonnaise's voice was familiar to me from her voice overs on Miracle Whip commercials.


This Doug is 18" tall.
He's made by Mattel.


He has a cloth body and limbs, and a vinyl head.


His trademark hair is made from nylon cord.


His clothes and shoes are not removable.


His shirt has spots from the water I dripped when I cleaned his head for his photo shoot. He'll get a run through the wash soon.
There! Now I'm all caught up! Yay! See you tomorrow for another doll.

4 comments:

  1. This is why I am not thrilled about the fact that Disney apparently bought the Makies. If the bodies ever get made again, it's going to be all Makie dolls as Elsa and Cinderella and Rapunzel. I really can't see them just producing the dolls as the customizable wonders they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh not the Makies too!Why would they even want the Makies? The whole thing about them was that you could customize them the way you wanted,not make them into Disney characters.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea Makies had been bought by Disney either! Last I heard they were relocating to the US.

    Is it just me, or does the Doug doll look a bit like the classic Kilroy doodle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I hope it's not true, or at least,if it is,that they run it the same way as it used to be. You have a point about the Kilroy resemblance. Maybe that was in the back of Jim Jinkins mind somewhere!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.