Friday, October 13, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #286: Cuddly Beans

  Well, I have to apologize to the yard waste guys for what I was thinking when my yard waste was still sitting there at noon today. I was sure they were going to NOT pick it up AGAIN. But low and behold, it had later disappeared. Whoo hoo! So tonight I scooped up more of the stuff I left at the curb. Not all of it, or even as much as I had cans for, but I made a good dent in it, filling two containers. I may get the yard waste whipped this year yet. Now on to today's doll.
  I don't know about you, but when I think of the early 70's Mattel Baby Beans type dolls, I think of the small dolls like Talking Baby Beans. In fact, I had no idea there was any other size Beans doll involved in that series, until I found this doll at a flea market a few years ago.

She's 15" tall, like Drowsy.

She's Cuddly Beans. As is suggested by her name, she does indeed have beans in her bottom. She has apparently been very loved though, because she's almost out of stuffing. One of these days I'm going to have to open her up and give her some visible means of support.





Cuddly Beans was made in 1971. She's supposedly a bit rare. To see her in all her boxed glory you can go HERE. I paid more than I would have preferred for her, but I had never seen her before. I came upon her, and there was that familiar Drowsy face, with red hair peeking out from under her bonnet, and I weakened.


She also has the Drowsy hands.




Although she did come wearing a bonnet, it wasn't this one. She was wearing this one when I got her, and it works pretty well. She actually needs the bonnet...

You can see thread on the sides of her head where her original bonnet was sewn to it.

Mattel got cheap and only rooted the poor girl with bangs. She looks a little strange without the bonnet.



That finishes up nearly a week of Drowsy and her many versions. Tomorrow is Shrunken Saturday. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments.